The Society shall be an apolitical, non-profit organisation, exclusively and directly dedicated to promoting and coordinating the scientific, philanthropic, intellectual and professional activities of Molecular and Functional Imaging in Radiology. The Society’s mission at all times is to serve the health care needs of the general public through the support of science, teaching and research and the quality of service in the field of Molecular and Functional Imaging in Radiology.
The Society shall be an apolitical, non-profit organisation, exclusively and directly dedicated to promoting and coordinating the scientific, philanthropic, intellectual and professional activities of molecular and functional imaging in radiology.
The Society’s mission at all times is to serve the health care needs of the general public through the support of science, teaching and research and the quality of service in the field of molecular and functional imaging in radiology.
In the Statutes of the Society the term ‘radiology’ shall mean ‘diagnostic and interventional radiology, biomedical and molecular imaging’. A radiologist is a qualified medical practitioner who has undergone appropriate postgraduate training in diagnostic and interventional radiology.
- ESMOFIR is a new Radiological Scientific Society with transverse objectives and missions among the various components of European Radiology.
- ESMOFIR will establish Molecular and Functional Imaging as new areas of special interest and expertise in the field of diagnostic and interventional radiology with the European Society of Radiology (ESR) and particularly with all established committees of ESR in order to provide both a scientific forum and to promote research as well as technical developments in these fields in Europe.
- ESMOFIR will foster specific education and training in Molecular and Functional Imaging to improve and disseminate knowledge among the radiological community. This action will be conducted in coordination with all Subspecialty Societies and in association with strategic educational developments as elaborated in the ESR Education Committee with a curriculum in Molecular and Functional Imaging for Inclusion in the European Training Charter and Curriculum.
- ESMOFIR will foster research information and promotion in Molecular and Functional Imaging to reinforce the role of Radiologists in the corresponding European and international scientific communities. This action will be conducted in accordance with the strategy elaborated in the ESR Research Committee.
- ESMOFIR will establish scientific sessions at the ECR and, with the already established refresher courses, a mechanism for presentation of scientific information on various aspects of Molecular and Functional Imaging as well as continuing education.
- ESMOFIR will collaborate with the ESR, the European Radiological Societies and the International Radiological Societies, hereunder the European Society of Molecular Imaging (ESMI) and the World Society of Molecular Imaging (WSMI) to enhance the development of standards in Molecular and Functional imaging.
- ESMOFIR will organize workshops in collaboration with European Radiological Subspecialty Societies, and eventual support of ESOR and ESMI, in both fields of Molecular and Functional imaging.
- ESMOFIR will drive or participate to the elaboration of technical recommendations and the validation of new imaging biomarkers in the fields of Molecular and Functional Imaging, in collaboration with European Radiological Subspecialty Societies, the Subcommittee of Biomarkers of ESR, ESMI and other international Radiological Societies.
- ESMOFIR will promote a Molecular and Functional Imaging section within the journal European Radiology and to support the publication of corresponding scientific and review papers, particularly within the journals ‘European Radiology’ as well as in ‘Insights into Imaging’.
- ESMOFIR signed up a memorandum of understanding with ESMI to develop a collaboration favouring and promoting the development of Molecular Imaging in Radiology and its transfer into the clinics.
- ESMOFIR will seek partnership with sponsors from both the radiological field and pharmaceutical companies, to promote development and knowledge of new concepts, new agents and new techniques in the field of quantitative imaging.